Name: Xylyl (zai-lel)
A tad scattered among his corkboards pinned with elaborate diagrams, teetering vials of pure Magninium, and samples of runoff from Eta's powerful magic circle, Xylyl is always neck-deep in some attempt or another to understand why Eta is so stable. Well, meaningfully understand - everyone superficially knows that he woke up one day, engrossed in a trance that couldn't be talked down or stopped, and stumbled to a huge desert in Eta's Universe Core. The next week was a haze of creation, runes and magic spilling out of him at record speeds until he stood before the largest, most detailed, and most complex magic circle that the entire world had ever seen. It was nearly grotesque in size and power, radiating so much Magninium the mortals who had lived there nearly died from exposure - and completely beyond comprehension, so recursive and multilayered and huge that no one person could understand it, let alone Xylyl.
But that hasn't stopped him from trying. The unspoken idea hangs in the air - if he could reverse-engineer the circle, then theoretically they could recreate it in other Original Timelines, and stabilize them as heavily as they've stabilized Eta. In a blink of the eye, they could permanently fix every problem the Originals face. Despite the heaviness of this goal, Xylyl doesn't seem intimidated by it - whittling away at his experiments to understand the circle, his attempts to decode its strange language, his redrawings of miniscule slices to try to see all of its moving parts. He glows when he's at work - in love with the craft, in love with his eternal project, genuinely enjoying becoming a masterful mage beyond the likes of even the best of his peers - and absolutely hates being interrupted.
Click on the headshot to be taken to their profile (if it exists).
Relationship: Friends, Close Enough
He might give Phenyl a hard time, yeah. He's just so useful as Aryl bait! And he doesn't bother Xylyl, if ever. Maybe Xylyl looks up sometimes and sees Phenyl watching him, nursing a cigarette and just... listening to him work, and honestly, that's the best kind of friendship Xylyl could ever ask for. They get to both sit there in quiet while Xylyl studies and Phenyl never demands to see the end result or asks for charts or anything anyone else does that distracts him.
Ah, well, he doesn't hate Aryl, that's a really strong word. Aryl is just kind of in the same nebulous social bracket everyone else is in, which is 'I'll be polite to you, but leave me alone to research', which most people obey and Aryl doesn't. He's so insistent, and Xylyl knows it's because he's lonely, but he doesn't really understand why that's his problem to solve? Is it just because they're from the same Timeline that he's obligated to give Aryl attention? If so, he's glad Eta doesn't have more Natural Fragments.
Click to View Minor Relationships ⮟
Um, he doesn't really want to be rude, and he appreciates another mage taking an interest in his work, but also please leave him the fuck alone. Haven't you already gotten what you needed from the circle, with your wards around Iota's remains? Why do you need to keep bothering him about new ideas for additions to it? Ugh...
The COR in general is rather annoying, always asking Xylyl for his most recent discoveries and asking for meetings and presentations and stuff that only serves as distractions. But Jubilee himself is pretty respectful, listens to Xylyl talk about it at his own pace and doesn't demand a metric truckload of information every time he shows up - which is rarely, but still. Maybe if all the Overseers were like him, they'd get more stuff done!
- Universities in Eta allow for students to do internships under Xylyl. It's gained a reputation as being really annoying work but otherwise easy credits if you can stick it out and tolerate his eccentricities.
- Xylyl designed his appearance shortly after he was born and has literally never changed it. He thinks so little of how he looks that Phenyl sometimes sticks things in his hair or tail and takes bets on how long before Xylyl notices.
- Doesn't believe at all in the taboo some magic carries, like mind-altering magic.
- Does not mind other people studying the circle (as long as they're not breathing down his neck). Does mind other mages poking it with magic, don't do that.
- In his spare time, likes reading articles about behemoths and projects for studying the exact amount of magic to trigger behemoth growth in any one wavelength of magic.
- Would be a terrible combat mage, can't think fast enough to react in time. Needs lots of room to think to come up with spells!
Click the reference image to the right for fullsize.
- Irises are shaped like crescent moons.
- Robe is a pretty heavy and thick material, but the pale draping over shoulders is very light.
- Horn has a little bend in it, and is half the color of his wings and star-shaped freckles.
- Don't forget the halo! It's a light color and easy to miss.
- Can be drawn with books, papers, diagrams, etc. He's a researcher!
Generic Anatomy Notes
- Muzzles are small and boxy, and they don't have a kitty or dog nose.
- Eyes can be stylized as you'd normally draw.
- Please note that they have four fingers and three toes.
- If the character has glasses, don't omit them!