Pronouns: they/them or he/him
Alpha is an empty place. Decayed, rotten, dying, wilting, devoid of all good things that have filled the lives of the rest of the world. Why? For the crime of existing. For the crime of being the first. For attracting the gaze of the devil, a demon beyond ken. Bereave, primordial evil, the dredges of Singularity single-mindedly bent on destroying life as it existed. Scoria takes no pleasure in knowing this. Scoria takes no pleasure in his awareness of this.
He was born when Alpha was, one of the first Gladar who ever opened their eyes - not only in Alpha, but of all of the world. His life has stretched, endlessly from the morning of creation to the present, memories on memories on memories. He was there, front-row seat, as he and his fellows and his Fragments explored what it meant to be alive, the beauty of consciousness, of existence. It was they who wrote the blueprints for everything, those born at the dawn of time, who asked questions and explored and recorded their hopes and dreams for this new thing called "life".
Alas. All of those happy memories are nothing, now. They are ghosts, vestiges, faint. They slip through his fingers like sand, as he looks out over his home - Alpha - and can only see the thousands of ways it was destroyed, pulled apart, desecrated, raped. He sees those reminders everywhere - places that he recognizes, faces he remembers, and the happy moments that were tucked in those spaces. All of them gone, now, ripped away and rotted and despoiled by Bereave. What is there left, in the first world of all worlds? What is there left to love, to cherish? It's all ruined, all torn apart. What's the point in prolonging its death? What sick pleasure does the COR get out of Alpha on life support, torturing its people, in this land of lost hope?
Why won't anyone just let them die? Why won't anyone just let them rest? Why does everyone seem obsessed to force their shambling corpse onwards, to torture them further, to force them to exist in the tainted carcass of the home Scoria had loved?
Click on the headshot to be taken to their profile (if it exists).
♥♥♥♡♡ Preponderant Respite
"Servant" is impersonable, a farce. A way to compartmentalize the relationship they had, long ago, as friends and peers - against their current dynamic. Respite brims with resentment, hatred. It's an energy rarely found in Alpha nowadays, and an energy that Scoria is almost jealous of. But he knows that Respite went through to walk away with that sort of fury nurtured inside of him. He was, after all, the one who battled Bereave personally. The one who recieved the full force of the devil's machinations. If nothing else... if the cult can't destabilize Alpha... then maybe, one day, they'll find a way to put Respite to rest. He deserves it.
♥♥♡♡♡ Cascade Circe
An ignorant Gladar, poisoned by youth and lack of wisdom. He was quick to grab power, and effective at interrupting Scoria's efforts. He's an egotistical brat, who sees himself as above Alpha, as Alpha's arbiter. As if he truly understands it. As if he truly knows what it was. He chases a dream that he has never had, an ideal only told to him in whispers. But, that is the curse of ambition, isn't it?
♥♥♡♡♡ The Rapture Cult
Means to an end. He does not find friendship or comraderie in any of them, and remains their unattainable leader. They go where he directs; some die, some live, some defect, some join. They come and go, like water, like untouchable waves. It is the way of the world.
An empty shell, from which all hope and life and light as left. In a way, he is a reflection of Alpha, of the torture done to it. He stares, dully, and waits for prompting like a puppet, moving only when his strings are tugged. It would be sad, if it wasn't a microcosm of Alpha itself. He deserves to be released from this state, the same as all things.
Click to View Minor Relationships ⮟
♡♡♡♡♡ The Mercenaries
Cascade's roving band of theives and rapists. They're annoyances, blips on his radar. People who were born into Alpha after it became a wasteland, and take great pleasure in ruining the remains of Scoria's homeland. Invaders, chortling over the carrion they greedily feed off of, paying no mind for its tearful begging and strangled declarations of still living. They leer at him, mock him the few times Cascade has dragged him by the neck back to their hideout. He doesn't fear them, but he hates them with every fiber of his being.
A kind boy. What else is there to say? He is uncomfortable with Alpha, like everyone is, like everyone should be. He confided in Scoria long ago his reasons for caring so intimately about the Originals, and the resentment for Jubilee specifically faded with the knowledge. How can he hold it against Omicron, the one who understands what they went through? Who died for it? At least Omicron's suffering ended - and Scoria's said as much to Jubilee - but rather than hatred, he harbors a sort of pity and commiseration.
Does language have the capacity to communicate the depths and breadth of Bereave's evil? Scoria thinks not. In a funny way, it infuriates him beyond measure that he can't articulate what it felt like to be tortured by Bereave. The insidious corruption, the violation of his soul and self, the desecration of Alpha... all strong words that can't do it justice. The only ones who understand have been through the same as he, and all they can do is stand in a circle, staring off distantly together, and the truth of their suffering remains isolated.
- "Why take Alpha down with you? Why not kill yourself if you're that obsessed with dying?" Scoria would find it morally reprehensible to kill himself before insuring Alpha would also "come to rest". It's his duty, so he says.
- Is often misread as being coldly angry, but he mostly just scowls by default and tends to be acrid when talking. He self-identifies as "exhausted" more than angry.
- Very observant and empathetic, but over time his empathy has become less "I understand why you do this" and more "I understand why, but you're a sorry piece of shit for being this way still".
- Technically, he's older than Provenance and Respite. He's actually up there as, canonically, one of the oldest Numbers characters in general, predated by the Mags and creator duo.
- Despite how much Cascade hates him, Scoria knows that he doesn't have the balls to kill him. He takes advantage of this to do riskier tactics than he should.
- Most of his free time is devising ways to destabilize Alpha. Most of that revolves around introducing OOT actors (especially other Fragments), doing things that the COR sees as affronts (to offend and upset them), and literally tearing apart pieces of the Timeline to toss into voidspace.
- Is really good at singing, but is out of practice. Hey, get him and Cascade to sing together sometime, maybe the power of friendship could fix-
Click the reference image to the right for fullsize.
- Usually clutching his hood or shawl with at least one hand.
- When his hood is up, he hides his horns. If hood is down, horns are visible.
- Lighter red colors on his fur are markings, not scars or paint.
- Shorter than all the other Alpha characters, but they're just all freaks, he isn't small lol
- Usually looks serious, disappointed, irritated.
Generic Anatomy Notes
- Muzzles are small and boxy, and they don't have a kitty or dog nose.
- Eyes can be stylized as you'd normally draw.
- Please note that they have four fingers and three toes.
- If the character has glasses, don't omit them!