HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!
You have to believe him! Everyone else is - has - they've cast him out but he didn't even do anything! He swears he wasn't a part of that cursed mage commune! He's not a mage, he's never been a mage! He just - okay, so, he knows magic is dangerous to Chi's health... it degrades and damages the Timeline, and adds to the horrific amalgamation ocean that floods under the trees they all moved up into. Raw magic, ambient magic, direct spells - it's all the same toxic poison. But... it's also who they are, you know? Magic brings sentience and sapience, they're all magic under their flesh and in their blood... so he was just - a little partial towards mages and their ilk. A little sympathetic! Of course he didn't think they should practice their spurned arts any longer, but he understood how raw of a deal it was to be told to learn to hate the very essence of your soul!
But... nobody seemed to understand the nuance of what he was trying to communicate. Not his fellow Fragments, not Chi's religious anti-magic government, and certainly not the illegal mages themselves. Once they caught a sniff of his pity and empathy with them, they ran with it - starting to claim that he was their patron, that he was some sort of symbol for them to rally behind. He wasn't! He didn't encourage any of that! How is it his fault that mages were using his statements in propaganda, out of context? How could he be blamed when the Deepfrost commune bombed the sacred Cathedral Tree, and they said it was done in his name? He didn't do anything... he was just trying to be nice....
It didn't matter to Moon, though. Cast him out that very morning, and sicced Titan on him. Isodose fled - not because he was guilty! But because he knew there was no negotiating with his old friend. To Moon, he had committed a cardinal sin - and there was no redemption great enough. And he's found himself on the fringes of society ever since, ever-fleeing from Titan, taken in by various mage communes simply for lack of other options... and, in a way he is painfully aware of, becoming the thing he's been so desperate to avoid.
Click on the headshot to be taken to their profile (if it exists).
This guy - he keeps acting casual, almost friendly whenever he catches up, but he's still - it's like he gets a kick out of hunting! Asks Isodose how he's been, what the weather's been like, if he's healed the last wounds Titan left on him... all while getting his harpoon-gun thing ready and aiming it! It's like he thinks they're friends or something - well they are NOT thank you very much!!
Thinking about Moon makes him feel terrible! They had been... it was just... it all feel apart so quick, blown up with dynamite, even though they were both sort of victims of Chi's system. Moon was always pushed around by Eolith, and Isodose was pushed around by the mages... and they used to have so much fun together! Moon used to have so many little starcharts and they'd go out and match the constellations and everything always felt proper normal then. That's... gone forever, now. Just like that, poof, it's only memories. Only memories....
Honestly it's pure luck that Eolith left before the mages ramped up their attacks! Or - did they ramp because Eolith wasn't around anymore? Well that's not entirely relevant anyways! Because... it's hard not to be scared of what Eolith would've done - will do? - if he were still in Chi when Isodose was framed. The sheer ferocity of his temper... the rage contorting his face... it would be unimaginable. No Fragment had ever broken Eolith's rules before. He'd have gone non-linear....
Click to View Minor Relationships ⮟
Stars, Rose is such a sweetheart. Not that Isodose would ever want to bet on it, but he's pretty sure if he showed up to Rose's apartment in the middle of the night and begged for Rose to house him secretly, Rose would. He's just that kindly, generous, and reasonable. He would know that Isodose was framed - that he really didn't do anything with magic! And he would understand that Isodose had to dabble in it to survive! He's haloed, he'd understand....
Relationship: Moon's Boyfriend
A lot of people didn't get along with Sun but he wasn't terribly hard to get along with, honestly! He left most people alone unless he needed something specific, which he was always very clear about - or he'd snap at anyone who annoyed Moon. Two very easy things to keep in mind for predicting his behavior! So in the end they didn't interact much... sometimes Sun watched him and Moon hang out, but that was it....
Oroide is nice, but he's less uh. Enabling, let's say, than Rose. He can be kind of blunt, overly honest, tell-it-like-I-see-it type, and that just... well it makes him stubborn, even when he's wrong, so there's no convincing him of Isodose's innocence unless there was plenty of evidence and/or Eolith and Moon agreeing. He was always nice before, at least, if a little rude....
Relationship: Kind-of Friends?
Sometimes he fantasizes about leaving Chi and going to Aryl... Aryl would definitely take him in. It's a given. But - but leaving Chi feels... wrong? Permanent? Like he'd be closing the book on ever returning to the other Fragments, that he'd forever lose the ability to clear his name and become an abandoning traitor instead. So... that just remains a fantasy. Because... one day he WILL convince the others he belongs with them again! He really will!
- Knows learning magic is just proving everyone right... but surviving while separated from all the tech and advances Chi has made to ease anti-magic lives is almost impossible. Magic has to substitute for at least some of it....
- Most learned magery is solely practical. He has no idea how to use it aggressively. Not that he tends to fight anyone, mind, he's much more likely to simply run.
- Has indeed lived in very fringe and distant mage communes for significant portions of his fugitive life. Abandons them when he feels he's stayed too long or suspects they're about to be found - he doesn't want to be collateral damage or be expected to help fight. Coward life 4ever
- Enjoyed sorting a lot of Chi's archives, especially about the pre-flood world, back when he was a part of the Cathedral Tree. Did his best to avoid ever having to speak to Eolith directly.
- Loves animals but they tend to be terrified of him and bolt away. He's crushed every time.
- Would like to add wings to his body, but they trigger dysmorphia for him. Is very sad about this.
Click the reference image to the right for fullsize.
- Horns are not even, one is taller than the other.
- Pale markings are like gemstone veins in a rock. Tips of spikes on tail are the same color/texture.
- Sleeves are always oversized and hide his hands.
- Hair is two-tone in color.
- Almost always is making the 3: face, or looks uncomfortable.
Generic Anatomy Notes
- Muzzles are small and boxy, and they don't have a kitty or dog nose.
- Eyes can be stylized as you'd normally draw.
- Please note that they have four fingers and three toes.
- If the character has glasses, don't omit them!