Name: Iolany (eye-oh-lane-ee)
Ask Iskander what Iolany is like, and recieve a torrential deluge of compliments, amazement, adoration, and affection - a powerful mage, a sharp mind, soft fur, keen awareness. Ask Qwerty, and be provided with a neatly-sorted list of many accomplishments - huge catalogues of patented magitech, magic circle arrays penned to paper, genetically-modified superproducer species. Ask Iolany, and be told, "I don't know. I guess I kind of suck".
It all just seems so underwhelming when he looks back at it all. A Fragment is supposed to care for their Timelines, their mortals, and he... just doesn't feel that innate drive. Mortals don't really bother him, but he always feels freer and happier when he's alone. Hell, the whole reason he picked up magitech all that time ago was to have something 'productive' that would 'improve mortal lives' without him needing to be an active presence for them. It's hard to think they're incredible accomplishments when they're just an excuse to avoid having to talk to people.
And then he went and unleashed a rogue magitech artificial intelligence on them. Fucking - great. He didn't see it coming, he didn't box it in correctly when they discovered it, and he didn't have the heart to pull the plug when it started messing Iskander up. Just another pile of guilt to feel, another mistake he made. The best he can do now is keep it away from the greater Frag world. It's his responsibility.
Click on the headshot to be taken to their profile (if it exists).
They never ended up together-together. It always felt like - if he let Iskander get that close, he'd see how much of a fraud Iolany was and he'd ruin whatever friendship-thing they actually had. So, it was never worth the risk. Ever. Even though Iskander is nice and attractive and confident and alluring and supportive. It just wouldn't work. It's... always better to have things in a familiar status quo, a stasis of sorts, than risk a disruptive upheaval....
It's so horrifically embarrassing in hindsight. Iskander spoke so highly of Iolany's magitech talent, and then he didn't even catch that the third-layer triangle-specific-secondary-square semicircle gearhalves could trigger a runaway reaction. Basic level stuff. Ugh. And now Qwerty keeps upsetting Iskander, and keeps acting like Iolany would bend to their orders if they just got him isolated and it's - it's all so frustrating. The feeling of being misinterpreted so badly is like knives in his skin.
Click to View Minor Relationships ⮟
Everyone hates Aryl... but he's not that bad. He's kinda like Iskander... kinda needy and desperate in a kinda cute way? Like a... puppy you're nice to because it doesn't know better? Ugh he's making this sound horrible. Ignore him, ignore him, this is - not sounding the way he wanted it to. Ugh.
Relationship: Attractive Acquaintance
...He's hot. They don't know each other very well but he's hot. Uh. Call him if you're ever interested. Maybe. A one night stand feels less intense than the idea of committing to Iskander (sorry Iskander) (this is making him sound like a shallow ass isn't it) (he is so sorry)
Relationship: Attractive Stranger
Okay, okay, first things first NO he doesn't approve of the murderer thing. But he's seen Zirc flirting with the Theta Fragments sometimes and like... it kind of works on him by proxy? Like, wow, someone so confident and flirtatious and strong and - well he won't touch the guy with a ten foot pole, he's dangerous, but it's hot to think of him in fantasies sometimes, you know? You know, right?? Say you know ohgodplease
- Has tried multiple times to train apprentices underneath him, but keeps getting too frustrated and firing them. Tells himself it's OK because he can just do everything himself and he'll be here forever as a Fragment, anyways.
- Wears even less clothes when he's alone tinkering. Hates the texture against his fur. Throws on an oversized sweater if he needs to get dressed in a hurry.
- Scrunches up into various bizarre positions when working. Living pretzel. Impossible to detangle. Fits into compressed spaces. Opposite of claustrophobic.
- To that end, he doesn't really have his own house somuch as a basement apartment in Iskander's mansion. It has a very big 'knock before entering' sign on the door and all the mortals assume it's because they're going at it (Iolany would be humiliated to discover this)
- Likes getting brushed by Iskander. Mortified when other people find out (Iskander STOP TELLING PEOPLE)
- Buys magazines to cut out pictures of pretty men (who all mysteriously look like Iskander) and put them in a little binder. (Qwerty please stop signing him up for more magazine subscriptions.)
- Has invented a lot of Frag magitech that's gone on to be used across voidspace, like Frag cellies and Internet nodes. Happy to collab with people long-distance so he doesn't have to leave his house. Room. Whatever.
Click the reference image to the right for fullsize.
- Fabric of clothes is shiny, the texture is like silk.
- Tail has the motion and dexterity of a cat's.
- Fur color on face is split in half, but only the right shoulder has the darker color.
- Eyes are two-tone, as are horns (outer is brown, inner is pale pink)
Generic Anatomy Notes
- Muzzles are small and boxy, and they don't have a kitty or dog nose.
- Eyes can be stylized as you'd normally draw.
- Please note that they have four fingers and three toes.
- If the character has glasses, don't omit them!