Name: Smudged to Sulfur Horizons
Nicknames: Horizons, Sulfur (Tower)
Pronouns: they/them (pref), he/him
In the silent perpetual night of Psi, soft ripples flow from the wake of a small boat. It glides across the black ocean, quiet as a mouse, carefully steering clear of heaps of stolen trash from other Timelines. At its helm sits Horizons, cigarette in mouth, expression dull, working the magitech controls with a finesse well-earned. Their eyes slide over the piles of refuse, searching for anything new to note - another piece of a freshly-robbed Timeline, attacked by Psi's curse. Should they uncover what was stolen as soon as possible, then perhaps their fellow Fragments can retrace what Timeline Psi pulled from, and return the object - or people - home. In these moments, Horizons is almost serene - the pale moon framing their face, their expression resolute.
One would be forgiven for thinking this grace came naturally.
In truth - Horizons finds themself irritated by other people at best, spiteful of them at worst. They distract them, demand things of them, annoy them, bother them like a rash that won't stop itching. Mortals are simultaneously needy and judgy, with morified expressions when Horizons cusses (after dropping something on their foot) or hisses (after getting starsawful news). It felt only natural to leave behind what felt like a hive of buzzing insects and take to the silent waters instead, pushing out their boat from the docks and enjoying their relative isolation. For the first few times, it wasn't a real job and it certainly wasn't on paper - but Cradle was more than happy to officiate it, give it his stamp, and prattle off Horizons' new title to any mortal that listened to their angel.
There's many things out in that ocean. Horizons has seen most of them, they'd wager. Little surprises them by now - save for the fact that they pulled a real, living, breathing Fragment out of those waters - some years ago, now. Strange to think that the haking, wet, retching, and half-made creature that had cowered on their deck... became, arguably, their closest companion. It's hard to quantify what Beginnings is different from all the others - even Clarity - as Horizons spends every single lonely sailing with him at their side. But... as much as they'd be gruff to admit it, they do like him there... appreciate him, even. It's less lonely... even though they were sure they'd never quite felt lonely before.
Click on the headshot to be taken to their profile (if it exists).
♥♥♥♥♥ Clarity of the Wheel
They can bicker a lot. It doesn't really upset Horizons; it's not something they take personally, and they know Clarity feels the same way. There's just all sorts of little policies and details to squabble over and debate, that's all. Clarity's an incredibly intelligent man and knowing that he sees Horizons as his equal and respects his opinion enough to take him that seriously is - it's hot, okay. Don't judge them. Clarity's hot and domineering, okay?!
♥♥♥♥♡ Beginnings and Endings
Relationship: ...Best Friend
...Yeah, they're close. Shove it. Beginnings is - ... Beginnings is... a good person. A nice person. It's hard not to feel a little protective of him - sometimes he can be so naive and innocent, kind of like a wallflower, though he's gotten some spine more recently. But he's still fundamentally this, well, very sweet, thoughtful person. It's almost like a more... down-to-earth version of Cradle, at times? It's a strange presence to have on his boat, but... it's appreciated.
♥♥♥♡♡ Upon the Cradle of Life
He's certainly more tolerable than Tower, that's for sure. Just... better vibes. It's not even that Cradle's less prone to secrecy, it's just that he's nicer about it and has a gentle demeanor, which makes it more tolerable to listen to him. He's always over the moon, of course, to see Horizons. Out of the entire batch of Psilings, actually, Horizons wagers that they and Cradle probably see each other the least. Just... two busy people, in different places, all the time. Hrm.
♥♥♡♡♡ Milk and Stone, the Tower
Relationship: Friendly Enough, All Things Considered
He's... ugh. There's - affection there, sure. They're both Psilings, and Tower... probably is trustworthy when it comes to Psi overall. He cares, he's just... eccentric is a nice way to say it. Selfish, egotistical, secretive - those are meaner but equally accurate. It's hard to hate him but he doesn't make it easy to like him, smarmy bitch. But he is still one of them, y'know?
Click to View Minor Relationships ⮟
Nasty bitch. Is there even anything else to say? Breathes down everyone's neck at Eta, slobbers over them, paws at them. He tries to act like he's a big generous giver but he's always looking to stick his meat in something. Ugh.
The COR's always let them down. Fuck 'em. Not that Horizons is particularly fond of Tower or Tower's plans, but... yeah. Fuck the COR. How dare they fucking dangle hope and help over their noses like that and get pissy when they won't hand over Beginnings like a stars-damned science experiment for them to test on. Gross.
- Tongue is indeed slit like a snake's. They tend to hiss when irritated.
- Does not own a cellie (phone), and will not own one. Fine most of the time since the team tends to use telepathy-powered walkie-talkies.
- Enjoys sleeping in tall places (top bunk, on top of shelves, in attics) but is terrified of flying and gets nervous in the upper floors of Cradle's obelisk.
- Covered in a downy layer of feathers. Gets petted by Beginnings all the time because of it.
- Has had the same boat for literal eons. Does basic maintenance on it, but gets Clarity's engineers to do more advanced touchups. Has swapped out so many parts that it's become the ship of Theseus.
- Finds most music to be droning and annoying. Thinks it makes it harder to be aware of one's environment. Despite this, is endeared whenever Beginnings starts humming or tapping out rhythms on the boat.
Click the reference image to the right for fullsize.
- Tail and thighs are covered in a layer of small feathers.
- Fur is paler on top of tail, insides of legs, and on a "wing" marking over face/ears.
- Headwings emerge from sides of head behind ears and wrap around towards face. They don't move much unless they're startled.
- Usually looking grumpy or irritable. Can be smoking; is usually smoking.
- Tongue is actually slit and shaped like a snake. It flicks when they're mad and gives them a very slight hiss.
Generic Anatomy Notes
- Muzzles are small and boxy, and they don't have a kitty or dog nose.
- Eyes can be stylized as you'd normally draw.
- Please note that they have four fingers and three toes.
- If the character has glasses, don't omit them!