Name: Cascade Circe (cass-cade sir-cee)
Nicknames: Cascade (usually)
When Cascade first awoke, a middling Gladar off in some magic bywash in a corner of Alpha's Universe Core, he already knew his Timeline was doomed. Everyone knew - it was in the air, in the water, in their thoughts, in their hearts. Bereave, primordial demon, had corrupted Alpha's heart beyond saving. It would slowly limp along to its death, warping itself and its people into crude and terrible versions of themselves until the day it finally collapsed under the strain. Cascade regarded these truths for only a moment before deciding - might as well have fun while it lasted. And that mantra carried him across the battered Universe Core, collecting under his wings those with even fewer scruples than he, forming a band of loyalty and looting both. Alpha was his oyster, a thing to enjoy before its inevitable death - and Cascade partook of it, enjoying its artifacts, vistas, people, adrenaline, magic - all of which he harvested with no mind to the meager communities he and his Mercenaries ransacked. It was the way of Alpha - every person for themself, every person struggling in the permeating sea of rot.
But petty protection rackets, trafficking, and pillaging all paled in comparison to the crown jewel of the Mercenaries' infamy and exploits: the kidnapping and control of one of Alpha's Natural Fragments, gods beyond ken. Provenance, collared and chained, became the final symbol of Cascade's power. Cascade basked in it, ears tilted to catch the awed whispers, the looks of fear from the mortals below him. He was truly above it all. Until he wasn't.
Until a growing seed of unrest found itself in the pit of his stomach. Until he stared out over Alpha, and a sickening sense of unease and concern overcame his typical casual nonchalance. Until he found his hand pausing before it tugged on Provenance's shirt, suddenly overwhelmed by a simple question in his throat - "Are you alright with this?". Until he laid awake at night, staring at the ceiling, and realizing in growing horror that Alpha had corrupted him, too - had riddled his mind with a conscience, with guilt for his actions, with a powerful protectiveness over the cursed place. He wanted to protect it, wanted to cherish it, wanted to - fuck, did he even hear himself right now? Who the fuck was he becoming?
Click on the headshot to be taken to their profile (if it exists).
Relationship: Pet? Object of Affection? Cherished?
It really was just supposed to be a show of power and also superiority. But then he just - the distant stare, the deadened responses, the constant napping. Something about it tugged at his heartstrings. Badly. He can barely admit it to himself, let alone to Prov, let alone to the Mercs, but he - he really wants to simply make... a safe space for you to rest in, now. To hold your head in his lap while you nap. It makes his chest... ache.
♥♥♥♥♥ Preponderant Respite
Stars, he'd move the heavens for you. Everything Scoria makes you do. Everything you've suffered through. He pets his hand over those old swords, the ones you used to try to protect Alpha... anyone would be exhausted, if they were you. So how is it, even, then, that you're still fighting? How do you find the energy, the passion to undo everything that you sacrificed so much for? Do you even know how much your efforts actually kept Alpha from collapse? ...
♥♥♥♥♡ The Mercenaries
Relationship: His Crew!!!!
They've become more akin to defenders of villages, like a proper hero's guild, than anything else. Cascade maintains his typical casual confidence and shows of power, central as their leader, but he also makes a note to personally meet and get a feel for everyone. His pride in the group has shifted from glee at their collective strength, to satisfaction at how well they do at shoring up houses and stopping the Rapture Cult's sacrifices.
If he wasn't such a slimy worm, he wouldn't be so good at running away. And, frankly, if he weren't so slippery, he'd be long dead by now. But don't fret, dearie - Cascade always finishes a job.
Click to View Minor Relationships ⮟
Being in Eta too long is distracting. But Aryl is a nice enough guy. Super easy to rob and manipulate, you know. Cascade's not even a Frag but he can work Aryl over like dough. It's a little pathetic, you know. Nothing he ain't used to, though!
♡♡♡♡♡ Rapture Cult
Scoria's insolent little pests. They only pose a threat with the power of surprise - getting the drop on a community he can only barely reach in time - and by using Respite as a sacrificial lamb since the rest are too weak to even shake a stick at Cascade. And they still have the audacity to mock Respite behind his back. Despite his deep distaste for their actions and ideals, part of him still wants them to be safe in Alpha (once the cult is disbanded and they are re-educated, of course).
COR doesn't know what to do with Alpha. That's fine. He'll figure it out with or without their help. Somehow, Jubilee seems to understand that. He never really questions Cascade's standoffishness or stop any bizarre solutions they try. Good. He should stay out of their business.
Relationship: Unspeakable Hatred
Not that he was ever fond of Bereave, mind. But he may be conjuring plans in the back of his head to get rid of the devil once and for all. (Don't tell him Jubilee beat him to the punch).
- Uses Prov's magic as a battery during difficult fights. His natural magic color is red - the white is from the amount of foreign magic he's consumed.
- Very very legitimately considered trying to broker a deal with the Magnitude Fragments to use Trougao as source of the Machine to stabilize Alpha again, but he has no idea how to contact them and isn't sure he could offer anything worthy enough in trade for such an ask.
- Even if Alpha's corrupting influence dissipated, Cascade would not revert to being callous and egotistical again; he would willingly want to remain who he is now. Don't ask him questions about if he even is himself right now, also, you'll give him a headache.
- Doesn't use any weapons in combat, not even magic amplifiers. Doesn't need them and thinks they make his moves and spells more predictable and readable.
- Talks and carries himself with an almost comical level of confidence, partially because every conversation with someone else in Alpha is usually some fucked-up power exchange mindgame bullshit and half the verbal fight is making it clear that he can't be taken down any pegs.
- Very proud of his halo, please comment on it. Mad whenever he sees Tower because Tower's halo is all-natural. :(
- Way better at singing than he looks.
Click the reference image to the right for fullsize.
- Freckles, front of torso, underside of tail, and insides of legs are a pink color, but there's no pink on his arms!
- The white jacket isn't a hard requirement, but I'd really prefer it drawn.
- Pupil is white, iris is vivid red and shaped like a diamond. Halo is framed in white with a slightly-transparent red inside, inversely.
- Tail should only be sparking if he's charging magic, casting magic, or emoting heavily.
- Bold, aggressive poses work, like going for the kill. Oozes confidence.
Generic Anatomy Notes
- Muzzles are small and boxy, and they don't have a kitty or dog nose.
- Eyes can be stylized as you'd normally draw.
- Please note that they have four fingers and three toes.
- If the character has glasses, don't omit them!