Name: Asalongalso (as-along-also)
Asa is, in a word, venerated.
Food is a problem for Sigma, with its cities buried in abysses to protect them from vicious storms and violent flooding. Growing food requires a constant supply of magic, and a constant supply of magic attracts sea-behemoths - animals warped into mutated horrors that seek magic for consumption and growth. Those who tend the fields and guard them are beloved bastions of their undersea society, and none more than Asa - who travels to the agricultural domes every sowing and every harvesting. He tosses aside his expensive coat, rolls up his sleeves, and battles blow-for-blow with the behemoths plaguing them, all teeth and claw and magic and bite. And every time, he emerges victorious, standing over the mortals soaked in blood with his confident, calm smirk and hands on hips. They laud him as their greatest hero, throw roses at his feet, swoon when he passes them by, stare lovingly up at his decadent office.
But, a part of him craves to be more. To be seen as more. To be admired, respected, and adored as a wealthy man, not a farmboy - shrouded in comforts and luxury. Aryl - a man to be jealous of, for how skillfully and easily he commands that sort of esteem. And... perhaps he finds himself wanting that kind of utter control, that kind of utter power, the ability to have anything done at a wave of his hand, because it would allow him to... ...take better care of One. Care that One deserves, needs. If only One would... ... excuse him. He'd best get back to work.
Funny. They all see him as the man in Sigma who has it all - power, accolades, adoration. If only they knew how much more he wanted, and how far he falls short of his dreams.
Click on the headshot to be taken to their profile (if it exists).
Oh, One. Sweet One. He's such an inspiration, a hard worker. He doesn't want to be handled carefully... it's not that Asa thinks he's made of glass, but - he is just so precious, in a multitude of ways, that he can't help but want to tuck him in gently in a safe place and keep him secure. He is - a lover, a dreamer, a creator, an inventor, Sigma itself... is that not worthy of protection? Of compassionate love?
They could certainly stand to get along better. Thriga often lacks tact, and while Asa finds no offense in their very candid critiques, they rub many of his mortals the wrong way. And then they look to him to soothe their feelings, as if he oft doesn't privately agree with Thriga. Still, when their goals align, they work together with a sheen that could rival the sun. Thankfully, One's protection matters as much to Thriga as to Asa.
His mortal underlings. They come and go; he does his best not to become too attached to any one individual. As a collective, they are intelligent and driven, eager for his praise and a sidelong glance. He distributes both carefully to those who have earned it, and minds the line between a manager and their employees with grace. Unfortunately, Sigma's idolization has invited many of his mortals to cross that line... or, at least, attempt to... but his known feelings for One keep many suitors at bay.
Click to View Minor Relationships ⮟
Relationship: Friends (Real)
A kind, quiet person. Not much one for talk, but adored by his mortals in such an intimate, close way. Asa understands such feelings, and in turn Arzhi understands him. To sit next to one another at Eta, drinks in hand, and enjoy the silence - it is a nice thing, a cherished thing. Who could blame a mortal for loving the god who protects them, the god who dedicates their life to their adoration? But sometimes... a little breather is nice.
Many judge Aryl for his shallow nature and pathetic devotion. Asa sees that in him, granted, but his eyes catch something else - Aryl's power, his comforts, his luxuries. He indulges in hedonism that Asa dreams of. Or perhaps, is jealous of? He can't deny that Aryl in some ways is an inspiration, draped over velvet cushions in only a bathrobe, hair mussed, cigarette stick in one hand, smirking up with flushed cheeks... sometimes, it is tempting to want to throw responsibility to the wind, and lose himself in carnal pleasure as Aryl does.
Relationship: Friends (Lesser)
It's hard not to see Ochre when at Eta - he and Aryl feed off each other's energy, all excitement and extroversion. Where they differ is that Ochre has a mind for creation, heading his dozens of businesses with a keen eye and a bright mind. In many ways, he has more similarities to Xylyl - or to One, Asa might say. He finds himself mildly attracted due to those common threads, but it's not hard to step back when Ochre is too confident, too prideful, too... loud, in a way. But he is still a nice man to speak to.
They chat often at Eta parties, discuss their Timelines. Czenete has a calmness, a self-assurance to his confidence and desires that Asa craves. And hearing of Beta is always a treat, ears preened for any fascinating tidbits, little things to learn and stow away for no reason save the pleasure of imagination. What mysteries churn in his peers' Timelines? He's heard of Zirconia falling well into Czenete's palm... it makes him envious, yes. It's a terrible vice, when it clouds such amicable relations. But what can he do but tether his emotions?
He's an interesting little thing. The Coalition was infuriated, so he heard. It would be nice to know how he's doing in Psi, of all places to have fallen into.
One may assume irritation on Asa's part, as Iskander rants to him their supposed similarities - coveted by their mortals, worshipped as powerful beings, people of status. All things that Asa does not see strung between them. But - if it helps Iskander, brings him some comfort to hold his candle to Asa's, who is Asa to mind? Simply nod, gentle and listening, and let the poor man rant.
- Not a big fan of psychoactives or alcohol, which causes some friction with Aryl. In general doesn't like losing control of himself.
- Fights behemoths primarily by hand - literally tossing them around areas and back out into Sigma's ocean - because his magic is dedicated to holding up false domes around the farms. The false domes allow behemoths to enter so they can be killed and won't harm the actual glass domes (which would catastrophically flood a region).
- Lives in the largest building in Sigma's capital, an arcing skyscraper with a lightning rod-looking magical conduit on top. The conduit works like a radar for behemoths or large movements of magic through the ocean.
- Record for behemoths killed in one day is six. Keeps getting irritated he isn't beating it.
- The kind of guy who searches his name on the Internet a lot and has an alert on his phone for new results.
- Despite living in an oceanic Timeline, Asa gets seasick very easily, and headaches if he's not underwater or in a magic-rich environment for very long.
- Enjoys his horns being stroked by friends or lovers. Don't touch if you're not close, though.
- Animals hate him and he hates most animals. Fish are fine, though (and delicious).
Click the reference image to the right for fullsize.
- Paler markings on underside of tail, insides of hands/feet, and across muzzle.
- Eyes have two shades of yellow, and it's not even.
- The little spikes go all the way down his back.
- Feel free to interpret the heart & brain on his coat as embroidery or a pin, both work.
- Is almost never not smiling or looking smug/confident.
Generic Anatomy Notes
- Muzzles are small and boxy, and they don't have a kitty or dog nose.
- Eyes can be stylized as you'd normally draw.
- Please note that they have four fingers and three toes.
- If the character has glasses, don't omit them!