Name: Aite (ah-tay)
As one of Beta's Natural Fragments, Aite's life has been embroiled in conflict since he first opened his eyes. First, with the wave of wars and struggle for territory among the people of Beta - a series of violent and bloody conflicts that only stilled once power had firmly consolidated under Beta's seven Natural Fragments. Well aware that he was outmatched among most of the competition in terms of raw magical power, Aite took to a different source of stability: information. Obsessive about collecting it in secret, he seeks to take advantage of every economic opportunity that he can, proving himself a useful asset. It helps that, during Beta's conquest of Gamma, he managed to gain control over most of the augmetia mines - a precious resource that Beta utilizes to remain somewhat stable.
One would think that Aite's position would be relatively comfortable as the ever-gleeful source of augmetia. But Aite has a terrible streak in him - enjoying and indulging in teasing others at best, torturing them at worst. His sadism is a poorly-kept secret, but a well-maintained aspect of his identity - never going so far as to threaten his position or life, but still a fact that the other Frags must deal with if they want access to his plethora of resources.
None know how badly fear rules him - fear of his fellow Betalings, of his precarious and stressful position, of the murderer among them. But Aite understands his world too well to let his walls down - what kind of idiot would show a blaring weakness like that? After all, fear is death in Beta, and Aite certainly has no interest in death.
Click on the headshot to be taken to their profile (if it exists).
A relationship that fills Aite with strange feelings. He and Zirconia had never been on the best of terms before Zirc's 'conquest' of Theta - in fact, Aite would happily wager that he was the closest thing to Zirc had to an enemy. Yet, after Theta softened Zirc up into a... unsightly pudding, somehow they... became close. Some sort of protective instinct or another. At first, Aite merely agreed to Zirc's affections to secure himself a place in the budding alliance between him and Czenete. But, as time has worn on, Aite finds himself... almost comfortable in Zirc's presence? Almost happy to see him, tail wagging? Ugh. He'd rather not think about it.
One of his fellow Beta Fragments, avoidant and anxious. Does anyone else know how deep the paranoia runs in Amira, hmm? Aite supposes not - if they did, more would be taking advantage of it. Like him! It's quite simple to carefully imply or suggest a handful of things to get Amira's agreements on such precious seafloor things like skyquartz... the kind of materials he'd make a pretty penny reselling!
The only thing holding Aite back from considering Czenete a terrifying force of power and magic is the fact that he is utterly, completely and wholly, dedicated to Zirconia. And with Zirc "in love" with Aite, that means he's relatively safe from Czenete. Not that he's seen Czenete angry often... it's simply - well, the few times he has were more than enough to sour his feelings. He's glad Zirc serves as a buffer between them - not that he'd tell Zirc that. Or Czenete that, for the matter.
A useful tool for keeping Gamma in check. It took an exceptional amount of finagling to ensure the others didn't kill or capture him! Though he's much more withdrawn than he was before the invasions, Aite doesn't trust for a second that he's genuinely broken. It's just surprisingly difficult to secure Gamma spies that don't get killed or discovered quickly, believe it or not!
Click to View Minor Relationships ⮟
Relationship: Social Friends?
Aryl is an easy-to-manipulate lonely little thing that jumps for joy every time a Fragment visits... not that Aite visits often. But it's easy to extract whatever he needs from Aryl, with just an offered kiss or wink, which means Aite likes him considerably more than he likes most people.
Aite can respect the hustle for information that Szeretet employs, with his legion of spying bugs. But it's terribly disappointing to know that it's being squandered on... what, some fanciful idea of crime-stopping? Please. If he had so many constructs... a network of eyes everywhere like that... actually, making them constructs would've been dangerous. Back to the drawing board.
Relationship: Coworker (derogatory)
None in Beta are fond of the Coalition of Reality. And though Jubilee is not the COR as a whole, he is certainly a well-respected public face of it. Aite is polite to him in person and respects Jubilee as a politician, but wouldn't shed a tear if he happened to... oh, maybe drop dead tomorrow.
Oh, yes, he knows all about Zirc's little pets from Theta - a menagerie of soft-hearted little idealists who haven't the faintest idea about reality. He doesn't regret harming Meyp to needle Zirc, even after their relationship developed, but he keeps away now out of respect for Zirc.
- Aite's controlled regions in Beta comprise the northernmost mountains and the valleys around them. He loves pretty mountain views but isn't great at handling cold, so he bundles up a lot.
- He likes visiting his mountaintop cabins and looking out over his territory. It's peaceful...!
- He's the shortest Beta Fragment, beating out Zirconia, who is also short by Frag standards.
- His best-kept secret is that he owns a plethora of birds, primarily domestic fowl. His favorite is a chicken named Penelopeep.
- This is a huge secret because he knows if the other Beta Frags find out, they will probably torture his birds in front of him :(
- Aite's real voice is much more subdued, smooth, and tired-sounding. He puts on a loud and obnoxious sing-songy tone to be bothersome.
- Had to establish a safeword with Zirc because he keeps mentally torturing him by continually implying Aite's only in the relationship for safety and that Zirc is an uncontrollable, unlovable monster who Aite is secretly terrified of. Listen, don't ask about how they're an item
- Has an aversion to water due to its freezing temperatures in his territory, and won't go swmimming in Zirc's (cold, but tolerable) oceans.
Click the reference image to the right for fullsize.
- Just do your best with the horns, lmao. They start from behind his ears and curve very slightly at the ends.
- Toes, ears, tailtip, and fingers are a lighter color than his fur.
- End of tail is a stinger, like a scorpion, surrounded by tufts of fur.
- Wears a sort-of robe over a turtleneck, with a two-layered skirt.
- His smug energy is through the roof. Seriously. Channel "smug" as hard as you can!!
Generic Anatomy Notes
- Muzzles are small and boxy, and they don't have a kitty or dog nose.
- Eyes can be stylized as you'd normally draw.
- Please note that they have four fingers and three toes.
- If the character has glasses, don't omit them!